Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My Moscow Style

Current Moscow temperature: -12 Celsius. And I'm sticking with celsius since it sounds more dramatic. For those of you not feeling the conversion, that's approximately 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Add some wind to that and...bottom line? It's COLD! While we've already experienced some comfortably cold weather, this is new territory for the season. And I'm afraid it's only the beginning of what's to come.

My sense of style is adjusting accordingly. As I peruse the Facebook or some of my favorite blogs, I find my mental dialogue significantly altered. Rather than the usual, "Oh, what a cute little dress!" or "She has REALLY gotten in shape...looks great in those shorts!", I find myself thinking, "Where's your coat?" and "Sweetheart, don't you want to put some real clothes on? Your ankles are showing!!!" Temperature in their respective location is irrelevant to my automatic thought process.

A recent girl's night out to my favorite Moscow mall (Метрополис, Метро Войковская for anyone who's in Moscow and curious) also reflected a change in my tastes. The only thing that could really catch my attention? Sweatpants. In every form. And large, oversized, cable-knit sweaters. Basically, the more it resembled a blanket, the more attractive it was.

Consider the following, and you can see what I'm envisioning. Except none of the loose, flowing business...you wrap that blanket tight around you lady!


While I have yet to spurge on a blanket/sweater, I am seriously eyeing these:
The Russian's first concern when it comes to cold is footwear. They're convinced that if your feet are warm, the rest of you will follow suit. I'm not going to argue with them...they've dealt with this climate longer than I have. Winter boots are in order! BUT, are these the ones?

HESITATION:
1) They're EXPENSIVE! I don't think I've ever paid this much for one item of clothing/shoes.
2) They're UGGS. For some reason, I've long been biased against them. And I don't care much for the look of the originals. But these...
3) They're EXPENSIVE!

JUSTIFICATION:
1) I will wear them EVERY day in the foreseeable future. This is a true statement...currently I can not envision life beyond winter. Warmth is a distant memory.
2) After finding them online 2 evenings ago, I have dreamed about them every time my feet hit the pavement.
3) I read approximately 50 reviews: the woman from Alaska had me when she said that they had fabulous traction against ice! In general I don't really feel at danger in Moscow, save for my greatest foe and constant threat---the layer of ice that now seems ever-present on the streets. I've almost fallen approximately 34 times and am certain to actually do so any day now. Unless I buy these?
4) I have not purchased any clothing/shoe/accessory in 4 months. So while these aren't exactly in the budget, maybe I've unintentionally saved for them?

If you have anything you'd like to add to the JUSTIFICATION list, please feel free to comment. You're only invited to add to the HESITATION list if you provide me with an alternative comparable in look, warmth, and ice-defying traction. And then you will be my best friend.

And there you have it. Style? There is no such thing. Warmth triumphs all. This evening, that means sweatpants, sweater, and ACTUAL blanket (not the sweater version). With a cup of cocoa for good measure.

Sending warmth wishes your way!

10 comments:

  1. It is 73 degrees today here in Florida...
    I am shivering just thinking of being in Moscow during winter. My gosh how do people survive!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how cold -12 degrees is like. I already remember being frozen at 0 degrees. I like those sweaters, the way they hug the body like a blanket. Keep warm and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. get the boots.

    and get a $20 pair of yaktrax.

    you'll be SET.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say buy the boots!!! I'm warmer just thinking about them. I seriously doubt you'll regret buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, obviously you need those boots. Just buy them already. UGGS in Southern California worn with shorts = ridiculous. UGGS when it's actually cold = genius. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent a Christmas in Bucharest once and oh my heavens it was freaking freezing! I can only imagine Moscow... BRRR.... bundle up with that gorgeous cozy cable knit with the hood :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow sorry I haven't been around to visit you in ages...

    But I love those big chunky sweaters! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGGS are ridiculously expensive!

    I'm so glad I found you. I'm a professional musician, too. I play violin, viola, and piano.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Ideas!
    Fun post! I love cozy look of the sweater.
    Stop by my blog.

    www.CharcoalAlley.com

    <3 Paris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Ideas!
    Fun post! I love cozy look of the sweater.
    Stop by my blog.

    www.CharcoalAlley.com

    <3 Paris

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...